The State of L&D: Navigating Novel Technology on a Learning Budget
July 11, 2023
What will be hot in L&D in 2023? What challenges will learning leaders face this year? If you’re an L&D pro, you may have answered a survey asking these questions at some point in the last 10 years. They come from Donald Taylor’s indispensable L&D Global Sentiment Survey. This week, we discuss with Don his findings from 4,000 respondents, covering the challenge of tightened budgets, the adoption of burgeoning tech, demonstrating a learning ROI and much more.
Budget. Value. Impact. These are the three most commonly used words found among the responses to Donald Taylor’s question, “what is your biggest L&D challenge in 2023?” This, of course, comes from Taylor’s annual Global Sentiment Survey. While he typically only asks a multiple choice question about “What’s hot” in L&D, this year he added this open-ended question. From the thousands of respondents, it is clear: L&D pros are fighting an uphill battle to demonstrate their immense value to their organizations. This is top of mind on this week’s episode of L&D in Action.
Beyond his globally revered survey, Don Chairs the Learning Technologies Conference, serves as a keynote speaker, and has authored a book on the topic of learning technology. If you asked 10 elite L&D practitioners who the most important names in Learning are, 9 will include Don in their list. The 10th would likely be Don himself, and he’s just being modest. There’s no doubt Don is a driver of the global L&D conversation, and we’re thrilled to discuss burgeoning ed tech, showing learning impact with data, preparing for disruption and much more with him on the show.
Join us as we discuss:
- How some companies are capturing learning ROI, and how retention may be the simplest vehicle to start
- Whether classic guidelines like the 70-20-10 Rule of learning should be reconsidered
- How diversity of people–not necessarily what you teach–is the greatest antidote for disruption
- Whether novel tech can foster collaboration that outperforms the learning methods we naturally develop as teams
- How to minimize the largest of productivity gaps among employees
- What we can learn about learning from entirely remote, asynchronous companies
- Strategy for getting buy-in to learning programs from troubled executives
L&D In Action: Winning Strategies from Learning Leaders is handcrafted by our friends over at: fame.so
Previous guests include: Simon Brown of Novartis, Ravin Jesuthasan of Mercer, Michael Lee Stallard of Connection Culture Group, Michelle Weise of Rise and Design and Dr. Nigel Paine of Learning Now TV.
Check out our five most downloaded episodes: